In Search of New Hobbies

by earthwoman on July 21, 2012

I feel like I have this entirely unsatisfactory hobby where I spend hours each weekend, weeding and tilling and planting, just in order for an army of soft, squishy critters to gorge themselves silly on our lush organic produce.

Next year I may try out a new hobby of browsing the veg aisles in the local Lidl so that I too, can gorge on some vegetables.

Broad beans have been the only success this year, in fact they were so successful that I can barely close the freeze door without bursting an over stuffed sack of beans.

20120721-175743.jpgEverything else?

Absolutely everything else is a complete flop.

Here’s the pitiful reward for digging an entire row of spuds in heavy and claggy clay.

The second row was no better, in fact I unearthed more slugs than potatoes.

The runner beans are nothing short of an embarrassment.

20120721-175756.jpgThe mountain goat species of snail has been up and down each wigwam, decimating each and every plant.

I’ve jumped from foot to foot squishing them in a furious war dance, done to the tune of much swearing but I am still a little unimpressed with this gardening hobby.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post to Twitter

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Kev Alviti July 25, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Don’t worry we’re all in the same boat. Even with my new veg garden everything is rubbish – shame we can’t eat slugs! We all moan but I’m sure we’re all be doing it again next year!

Compostwoman July 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I am the same – it is actually quite a worry, since we rely on what we grow to eat, mainly! Oh well, I need to lose some weight

….will be buying a heck of a lot more veggies this coming year I suspect!

earthwoman July 30, 2012 at 10:03 am

I’ve just watched one of our cats attempt to eat a slug – he didn’t get very far so I can only assume they are not palatable. A shame because I would happily have escorted all the neighbourhood cats onto the plot for a feast.

Hi Compostwoman, its a good job we aren’t relying on the plot to feed the family, we’d be pretty hungry now – hope you are holding up!

notjustgreenfingers August 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Please don’t give up, it’s been a bad year for everyone this year. We all had such a good year last year, it’s just natures way of evening things out

earthwoman August 15, 2012 at 9:40 pm

You’re right. I think I will conserve my energies for the rest of the year and bounce back next spring full of optimism. Hopefully the weather will follow suit.

Alicia August 17, 2012 at 12:38 am

well, at least one thing is doing ok. don’t give up! have you thought about container gardening? a friend grows potatoes in a converted petrol drum and has great successes. i grow herbs in my window sill.

if at first you don’t succeed, try try again!

ami August 29, 2012 at 11:20 pm

ouch the potatos look painful with the lack of a crop, hope that next year is better for you.

TechChik September 14, 2012 at 3:09 am

I swear, this is why there’s a winter. Spring starts out and I’m always so eager to get into the garden. I want to put seeds in the soil and watch them grow and dream about everything I’ll harvest. Then Summer starts, it gets hot, the rabbits eat my beans, the tomatoes get blossom end rot, the earwigs feast on my herbs, the potatoes hate my clay soil… By the time Fall hits, I’m throughly disgusted by the whole thing. I had such high hopes in the Spring and now all I want is rabbit stew – the buggers should be nice and fat by now.
Then Winter comes, and the snow is pretty in December, cold and dreary in January and by Febuary, I would kill for anything green. And then it’s Spring again, and I’m so eager to garden…

earthwoman September 14, 2012 at 6:55 am

Hi TechChik, that is a perfect description of the emotional flow of gardening life.
Thanks for leaving your comment.

Angela January 9, 2013 at 5:47 am

Hi, your post struck me as somewhat odd. Isn’t being an ‘earth woman’ about being in harmony with it? I am just wondering this, as I read the part about jumping foot to foot squishing as many snails as possible.

I love my garden, the snails and so-called pests. If snails become a problem, I just pick them up and move them aside to another area, so they aren’t eating what I don’t want them to eat.

Maybe killing what lives in our gardens isn’t the only option we need to act on. Make gardening a fun dance, rather than a ‘war dance’ – it’s a lot easier and less painful.